 Castle / 19989
Re: COLTC Marcon show report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:32:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason Spears wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Paul Janssen wrote:
   About 10 days ago, COLTC displayed at Marcon 38. Despite the small layout, we managed to show quite a bit of new stuff.

   a Medieval Village

Nice looking layout. I’m obviously a fan of the medieval section in particular. About the burning house, two questions. Why are the birds hanging out on the still flaming house and what’s with the guy in the dress?

This was unfortunately thrown together, we did not have time to make it look more like a village (we agreed to do the show 6 days prior to the show). The person who would bring castle figs/casts/scenes forgot, so we had to populate the village with whatever I found in the boxes we dragged to the show, hence the knights and forestmen in the city. Marcon is “Multiple Alternative Reality Convention”. Hence, rather weird, so we modified some things in the layout... I could only help build up, but the people at the show (mainly Carolyn, Joe, Derrick, Mike C, and Scooter), kept tinkering and making funny scenes. I guess the birds must have flown over from the space area, they are clarly not normal behaving birds. When building this, I wanted to put birds on there, and a roasted turkey closest to the flames, but in the end did not have time enough to detail.

What guy in a dress? (I guess many attendees were guys in dresses, it was a lot of fun though I’ve been told)

I’m not sure why, but I never thought to have my forestmen roaming around the village. I will be sure to plop them there for our next layout. (More figs randomly wandering around has got to be a good thing... right?)

I like the water brigade truck, nicely done.

Thanks, there are twqo guys at a pumping mechanism, but I did not see a good shot of it at first glance, I’ll go back and look.

   What’s going on in the back of this black & white building?

That is the Medieval Monorail Station. However, we had to modify the layout of tables, and then we did not have enough monorail track at hand to loop it around the town from space to the Medieval Village. We’ll have it fixed next show, and more detailed pics of each individual building, as soon as I get them back.

   New Skyscraper

Is one of those buildings leaning? Was this intentional, a table defect, or an unlevel floor issue? Also, LeVeque Tower is getting even bigger, it’s looking better and better. If we manage another joint show this year, I’m looking forward to seeing the layout in person again.

Both the One Nationwide ann Vern Riffe (Tan building) are leaning towards eachother, we did not quite level the tables. We finished 2 more skyscapers (and a few moe planned/under construction) that will likely be shown next show. One of them is even taller than the ones shown, so we have to level tables better next show indeed!

I’m sure we will display agian not too long from now, maybe even before the year is over...(else next summer!)

Paul

Jason Spears | BrickCentral | MichLUG