 Castle / 18056
Re: the Hizzle Tizzle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:10:02 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Johannes Koehler wrote:
   Hello!

Hm... The house on the left with the brown roof looks... odd. However, the other two houses look far less odd :-) I too like the structure with the statue-coloured 1x1 roundbricks in the fillings... infills... fills... Darn, how’s the room between the standards and beams within the framework actually called in English? It’s Gefache in German. Hm, I think I’ll renew this topic on www.classic-castle.com ...

Bye
Jojo

Hi Jojo,

English cottages had heavy hewn timber frames. The spaces between timber posts and beams were filled with wattle (woven twigs) and daub (mud plaster). And the roof was thatch.

The French had closely spaced timber posts. Poteaux-en-terre or Poteaux-en-sole. Which is, posts directly in the ground, or posts on a stone base.

Both of these types of timber framing were used in early American settlements. There were other types of construction by the Dutch and Spanish.

Ben

Source of Information - American Architecture by Leland Roth