 Castle / 17546
Re: The Nazgul
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:14:49 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Reed Anderson wrote:

With 29 points of articulation*, this beast will strike fear in the hearts of
any hobbit.

     Heh.  When I looked at the first image, I was trying to figure out what
you'd used for wing membranes, and I suddenly had the idea that you might be
able to pinch minifig capes between the plates on the fingers.  Then I looked a
little closer at the picture and I realized that that's probably exactly what
you did (close examination shows that you did use minifig capes, and I can't see
any other possibility for how you attached them).  I've never liked the idea of
making a LEGO dragon wing without any real membrane, so I'd always leaned more
towards the idea of Eastern Dragons as being buildable without resorting to
non-LEGO materials, but it's nice to see that at least a mid-sized Western
Dragon is also possible (small is easy, since you can always use the
Dragonmasters dragon wings).

Good spotting on the wings.  I've been trying to develop a larger version of
dragon wings using plates and such, but I haven't had any success yet.
I'd love to try an eastern dragon as well, but I can never get the head just
right..  Ah well.

* I think.  If someone more knowledgable of this sort of thing could look it
  over, I'd be much appreciative.

     Okay, I see 5 points in each of the wings (shoulder, mid-upper arm, and 3
fingers), 2 points in each leg (minifig waists at thigh and shin), and 7 points
on each foot (talon elevation and front talon rotation), for a total of 26
possible points (I'm not sure if you're counting the talon rotation points).
I'm not at all sure exactly how many points there are in the tail, but it looks
like there are at least four legitimate points (at the ends of the three upper
tiles).  The head appears to rotate (it appears to be looking slightly to its
right), and the two antennae pivot, though technically you could also say that
they rotate on the studs as well.  The problem faced when trying to quantify
articulation points on MOCs like this is that LEGO bricks can sometimes be
movable solely by virtue of construction techniques, even if they aren't
intended as true articulation points.  As such, it's largely based on the intent
of the creator.  The other problem, especially with this MOC, is that black
parts tend to blend into each other in photographs, so it's really hard to see
how some sections connect to each other (like the neck) without being able to
hold the actual MOC in hand.  I'm looking at a possible minimum of about 35
points, but again, I'm not sure which of the points I picked out are intended to
be articulated, and I'm not sure I was able to identify all possible points in
this model.

Thanks for the detailed run-down.  I hadn't thought about the fact that the
talons rotate, or of any movement on the antennae.  The tail actually has six
rotation points, thanks to the 1x1 Studs on Five Sides bricks.  And the neck can
move up and down as well.
So I suppose the total would be 39..?
Thanks much for all the comments!

Reed Anderson