 Castle / 17279
Re: Official Website Is Launched!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:47:30 GMT

John Herre wrote:

While he could have been more tactful, he is right.  The pop-up is
annoying, and websites that require the user to have the newest software
and/or hardware are poorly designed.

My initial experience (dialup/windows 98/newest version of flash)...

It takes me a little over 2 minutes from the time the pop-up comes up to
the time the loading graphic appears, if I'm doing nothing else over the
connection. If you can't speed this up, you should have a warning in your
main warning that it could be several minutes before the 'loading' text
appears in the new window.

After clicking on 'Medieval Weapon Set', I get the loading image
graphic... and
that is all.  Wait awhile, nothing happens.  Go away after 20 minutes,
come back 2 hours later, and its still loading the image.

After trying some other things, I eventually discovered that some of the
images
will not display for me until I click on "View Details"/"See Insitu".
Once I figured this out, and started clicking on "View Details"/"See
Insitu" regularly, it took only about 10 seconds per image, which is much
more reasonable.

Almost similair experiences here (cable instead of dial-up and Linux/KDE
instead of Win98) ...
Please either also do a non-flash site or tweak the Flash pages to load
better. Although we're perhaps a minority, there are people that don't use
broadband/MS Internet Explorer and/or the latest plugings (some because
they don't care, others such as me because it doesn't exist for their
system)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
LEGO Santa Fe B-unit | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/lego/f7b.html