 Castle / 17258
Re: Advice for lego Purchase
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:47:32 GMT

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Nathan Todd wrote:

         I need some advice on a lego purchase. It'll probably be the last shop
at home order I do in a while as I'm headed down to NZ. So would you all
recomend bulk pieces or legend sets? (All for castle purposes).

My first recommendation would be 10039, the Black Falcon's Fortress.  It
has a good price point and is the largest source of corner wall panels,
which are almost impossible to replace with bricks.
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/10039-1
It is also a good source of gray parts and Castle accessories and 'figs.

For some different parts, Snape's Classroom is currently on sale at
shop.lego.com (and presumably through the 'phone as well) for $10; at that
price, it's a good deal on accessories, arches, etc.
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/4705-1
(I've also seen this and the Winged Keys for $10 at TRU in the US.)

On the other hand, there are some bulk accessories that are very
attractive with the 15% discount.  In particular, the large gray baseplate
is generally only available at $13 at TRU or in a Mosaic, so it's worth
getting for $8.50 from S@H.  Green and blue baseplates are also good to
have (although with green you may be able to do better than S@H by looking
for 16 x 32 baseplates on BrickLink).  Also, now would be a good time to
stock up on slopes (especially the black low slopes).

Finally, if you don't already have a Mosaic. . .a gray baseplate, lots of
black slopes, and enough 1x1 plates to last you for a long time.  IIRC,
the Johnny Thunder mosaic has the best balance of shades.

HTH,
--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/