 Castle / 1567
Re: Miscellaneous thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:19:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bill Farkas writes:
While sitting on the throne (a la Archie Bunker) and scanning over the latest
S@H catalog, it struck me that the 6095 Royal Joust set is a pretty awesome • set
for parts!! It's got great weapons (4 halberd axes, a brown lance, a black
lance, a brown spear, a brown axe, 3 Knights Kingdom shields, a Bulls shield
and a silver long-sword); the cool knights helmet with visor; a black chain;
the stained glass window, three cool minifigs (if you change the kings crown);
and a lot of other cool parts! Personally, I think this looks like a great way
to build an army and get some great parts as well - which is the big gripe
about the 6026 King Leo set - two figs, one shield, no parts. This seems to be
a good set to pick up on sale - for BOGO 50% OFF that's $15 each - not bad for
99 highly usable pieces.

I bought one for $15 just to see what it had, but I probably won't buy any more
unless I see it at $10.  Theres a fair amount of weapons and shields, but it
still seems a terrible expensive way to build an army to me.

Has anyone else ever taken the halberd axes and cut off the axe part to make a
longer spear?? I did and it looks pretty good - it works great for mounted
spearmen or in a "Braveheart" scenario where the underdogs use them to gain
the upper hand.

I've wanted a pike: the standard spear is too short, but the shaved halberd
isn't bad.  The other alternative is to simply use the lance (same length as
the halberd).

The scottish schiltron formations weren't actually a surprise, but hey, it made
for good drama, and they really worked well against mounted troops.  I had the
swiss pike and halberd formations in mind, so the shaved halberd works better
there.

Bruce