 Castle / 13214
13213  |  13215
Subject:
The good, the bad and the Ugly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 03:00:59 GMT

Well, I hadn't bought any new Lego in a few months, so I finally went online
and ordered a second Guarded Inn, a bunch of trees, and my first Blacksmith
Shop.  Then after watching Star Wars Episode II, I went out and bought a
bunch of small sets (Jedi Defense I, Jedi Duel, Ewok Attack and Tusken
Raider Encounter).

Actually, I got the Lego S@H order before I bought the other stuff... but
continuity is a problem for movies, not news-group posts :)

Anyway, on to what I wanted to say :)

1) The good!
The Blacksmith Shop is amazing, from the box it comes in down to finishing
the model!  The first Lego MOC set is also the first complete castle set
ever?  Is there any other castle set that is such a complete building?  I
can't really think of many off the top of my head (a couple of the Forest
Men sets and Majisto's Workshop come to mind as the closest...).  Wow.  I
hope I stumble across a winning lottery ticket so I can buy more of these
puppies, modify each one ever so slightly so they're not all clone
buildings, and make a pefrect little villa out of them!  Hats off on this one!

Guarded Inn - I must say, this is my 2nd one, and the only disappointing
thing about it is that it wasn't shipped with an "incorrect horse element"
like my first one was (because that phrase has ammused me endlessly ever
since I saw it printed on the shipping invoice!)  I wanted this set oh so
many years ago when it was a S@H exclusive, I even have the original S@H
catelog that has it offered with a big circle around it in black marker I
made oh so long ago.  I was just happy that after wanting this set for so
many years it did not disappoint me when I finally got it!  Now I'll have to
modify the second one I got in order to make it a nice "complete" building
like the Blacksmith Shop!

Lastly, I love many individual elements from the other sets.... The
mini-figs are great, all the nifty torso's that can be peasants, or even
noblemen!  The new brick colors are nifty too, light blue and dark red....
mmmm.....  I even think the Yoda head is fun to play with :)

The bad...
The catapult with the Ewok Attack.... I don't like that new catapult
arm/bucket element... I have a few of them in grey already that I don't
like, now I have one to not like in brown :(
The 'swoop' in Jedi Duel looks nothing like the thing from the movie I
think... it's about 100X too big.  I think the size of Maul's swoop from the
Maul vs. Qui-Gon mini-set is more along the right size, ah well...
I was also unhappy opening the Jedi Duel to find out that the new Mini-Fig
Mini-Legs are not articulated!  Ack!  I thought they were great up until
finding that out :(  I was even more unhappy because I bought the Ewok
Attack almost specifically for the extra mini-legs, which I don't want so
much any more, but suppose I'll still end up using...

The ugly...
The ewok heads are also icky... one molded piece of yuckiness, anyone else
agree on that one?

Anyway, the praise for the Blacksmith Shop is the reason I really wanted to
post anyway, I figured I would just blab about the others at the same time!

plucky