 Castle / 12554
Re: Castle development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 05:50:54 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo writes:
Hi all,

Shiri's point about real castles expanding over time got me thinking about
this from a lego point of view. I have a castle I started building last
summer and with the new bricks I have, and I plan to expand it significantly
in time for Brickfest 2002. By then it will probably be much bigger than I
initially expected it to be, so in a way it is expanding in exactly the same
way as real castles did. Now I'm torn between changing the already existing
walls to look more like the new walls I'm going to add, or leaving them as
they are. Colour is an issue, at this point the castle is predominantly
grey. Should I extend the walls using say, black, or should I rebuild the
wall entirely, mixing grey with black? I suppose I could theoretically add
to the castle for ever, but sooner or later I'll want to use the pieces for
something else and I'll break it up.

Do any of you have castle MOCs that you have kept for a long time and added
to significantly over time? If so, did the new additions have a different
architectural feel to them? And if so, was it on purpose, or by chance? The
Davinskeep Project sounded like a cool idea, did that ever get started
properly? I was looking forward to seeing how that came out.

I have done this with my own castle. I first started building Paranor eleven
years ago when I was fourteen years old. Over the years, it has expanded
greatly in size and form. I always thought it would be a castle I wouldn't
want to take apart, and thankfully, I never really had a reason to do so.
Then I recalled the idea of the Druid Council, and what it stood for. As
Paranor was supposed to be the castle of the Druids, and that's really what
I built it as a playset for in Legoland, I thought it a good idea to pursue
this idea. That is how the historical piece it has come to mean was
developed. The walls are adorned with the shields from the different royal
families in the world of Legoland, these are actually meant to represent the
Druid histories. I have bigger plans for the castle in the next few years,
and have to constantly watch, not only the castle theme, but the other
themes as well as to not miss a piece of the history of the Lego company,
when it comes to applying that history to the walls of the castle.
The castle has changed colors over the years. When I first started building
it, I didn't have a great number of single color pieces, so I had to do a
color pattern that mirrored itself on both sides of the castle,
unfortunately, this gave the piece a very squarish look to it. Also, at the
beginning, there was not a baseplate holding it together, just a bunch of
the flat 8X16 plates. The color coordination was dissapointing, at best.
Over the years, I went on to try a lot of different things with the castle,
rearranging the insides, the outsides, and trying different baseplates. The
outside walls around the castle are little more than a year old. I liked the
dark gray color for the walls, as it was somewhat different looking from
what the Lego company often released in sets, and I was looking for a bit of
an original feel to the design of the castle. I included several 4.5 volt
fireplaces, and lights overhead inside the castle, and placed flames or
transparent red bricks before the lights to give that fiery glow I was
looking for. As well, upstairs, I placed two twin 9 volt candelabras along
the inside walls to help light the place up a bit. Overall, I thought it had
a nice feel to it. I had to create my own battery boxes for the five 4.5
volt fireplaces out of bricks, and hide those in inconspicious places on the
castle grounds, I'm just hoping the batteries don't leak anytime soon.
The additions did end up having different architectual feels to them, for as
I grew through the years, so did the good ideas. This, to me at least, was a
completely natural feeling. The color scheme, as you mentioned, is a
problem. The one I decided upon was difficult to find in large quantities
except through S@H, and I wasn't able to order through them too often, nor
in the amount that was desired for the work to be completed. It has taken a
lot of time, which to me is embarrasing when I compare my own small work to
the larger works that are displayed readily in the Brickshelf gallery, and
on Lugnet member's webpages. I have just had to make do with what I had at
the time, and it's taken this much time already.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that what you create is a resemblance to
yourself at the time of the creation, and as you change, should you decide
to expand on your original work, those extensions will, as well, resemble
you at the times of their creation. To me, Parnor is a chronical of my life
and experiences through the past eleven years. It is small in comparison to
other works, but it is still special to me. I hope you can find the same in
your own work.