 Castle / 11797
Re: Island of Mist Chapter 1 Head Off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:25:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda writes:
Alright in the past I had spelling problems but trust me this was checked
and rechecked by me and my sister. Its a short first chapter about 2 pages
long. Enjoy and tell me what you think. Tell me if you find a spelling error
and I will fix it. sure it's not a story like Wilson's Chris's Anthony's or
any one elses at that, but I like it and I think after a few chapters you
will love. It's calle Head Off. I must say i got some insperation from the
tv show Cheers and wepon ideas from Tim Deering. Jin is a charecter of Ivan
Paltinca a friend from school other that every thing is original. I will
warn you there are very little MOCs in group 1 but the MOCs I have put in
here are not that great.

http://www.geocities.com/dvendezzz/headoffpage1.html

Daniel- this is a big improvement!  Your images are still a little fuzzy,
but I think that is something you'll just get better at as you continue.

One other thing- your images are somewhat distorted.  I see that the actual
images are much larger than they appear on the page, and you are using HTML
to resize them.  But the resizing is changing the aspect ratio (the ratio of
height to width).  When you change this, it "stretches" the images.  You can
avoid this in a couple of ways:
* The best solution is to resize the images in a graphics editing program
   instead of on the page.  When you use a program to change an image's
   size, you usually have the option to "lock aspect ratio" or something
   like that.  Then you can leave out the height and width properties for
   the images.  Or you can match the height and width values in the HTML to
   the actual values in the image.
* The next best thing is to calculate the aspect ratio and resize the image
   to dimensions that keep this ratio.  In the case of your first image, if
   you want the picture to be 650 pixels wide, it should be 487 pixels high.
   I got this by taking the height divided by the width of the original
   picture (1216/912=.75) and multiplying that by the desired final width
   (.75*650=487.5).  I rounded that down (you can round either way- a single
   pixel isn't noticeable distortion.)
* The next best thing to that is to simply force only the height or the
   width instead of forcing both of them.  That way, the browser will
   automatically resize the image with the correct aspect ratio.  So you
   could specify the width of 650 in the HTML, but leave out the height
   property.

Note that the first suggestion really is the best one.  The way it is now,
people are downloading a very large image, but only seeing it resized down.
If you resize the image file, they will load it much faster (like in about a
quarter of the time).  But if you don't have access to a good graphics
program, I understand that this may not be possible.

If you need any more help with this problem, feel free to email me directly.
Use the address below, or make sure you cut out "PANTS" if you use the
address at the top of the post.

And finally, story-related castle stuff belongs in the Castle World
newsgroup.  Please post this stuff to lugnet.castle.org.cw in the future.

Keep it up!

--
Tony Hafner
hafhead@planetquake.com