 Castle / 10916
Re: medieval warships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:57:29 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Magnus Lauglo writes:
Hi all,

Hmm, seems like several of us are on a spree of building medieval warships.
I recently (finally) got brown boat hull pieces, and want to make a medieval
warship, you know the kind with a crenelated tower at the front and back.
Can anyone help me out with any of these specifics?

   You're looking at building a cog, developed on the Hansard coast
   in the 13th-14th centuries, or a nef, which wasn't a double-ended
   ship and had a modern rudder.  Other purely European ships had some
   provision for oars.  It's worth noting that the "towers" were
   usually aftereffects; medieval navies were usually made of ships
   conscripted from the private sector, and the towers were fitted
   when the ship was requisitioned.  "Standing" navies don't really
   appear until the 16th century, and until then the crews were
   usually the same as the peacetime mercantile crews.  Only the
   officer class was replaced for naval operations.  But after the
   return of peace, merchants would sometimes keep the towers in
   situ.

How early did shipbuilders discard the single square sail. In other words,
can I use the two blue and white striped sails from the original admiralty
ship, or didn't those come into use until the 16th century?

   The lateen was new, IIRC, with the caravel (15th century), and
   it allowed ships for the first time to tack close to the wind.
   If you want to build a xebec or something like that, then you
   can predate the 15th century--but that's the Arab world, which
   provided the technical improvements that allowed modern European
   oceangoing ships to be viable.

Is there any evidence for cataputs or balistas being mounted on European
warships?

   I'm not sure about ballistae, but catapults were too large and
   slow-loading.  Crossbows and primitive cannon were more likely.
   However, E. H. H. Archibald cites examples of small catapults or
   slings being used "on occasion" in the 13th century.  Definitely,
   projectiles were considered.

Did they ever have more than just one main mast?

   Not before the 15th century, as far as archaeologists are aware--
   those ships were built specifically for the Norman campaign of
   the Hundred Years' War, another unusual point, and they were
   HUGE.

Would there have been seperate rooms or cabins under the raised towers, or
did the whole crew (and their horses etc) just sleep exposed to the
elements? Would there have been a lower deck?

   These are difficult questions, because they would have varied.
   Later cogs and, of course, caravels could have permanent towers
   but "true" medieval cogs wouldn't, so there wouldn't be any
   rooms under the castles.  That's not a hard and fast rule, though;
   if the crew was sufficiently unafraid of the roundship capsizing,
   they might enclose a space under the tower, but that would be
   unusual until they were designed as such from the start.

   As to lower decks, it depends on the size of the ship.  A standard
   Hansard cog might be about 50-60 feet long; it might have one
   covered deck, primarily for cargo (which needed to stay dry) but
   also for crew if necessary.  The nef was definitely enclosed,
   usually also under the castles.  An upper deck also allowed for
   greater stability and resistance to hogging; test the stability of
   a tube vs. a U-shaped structure to see what I mean.  But without
   any complete examples of this sort of ship, we can only make
   educated guesses about standards in shipbuilding technique.

   *phew!*

   best

   LFB