 Castle / 10359
Re: Long Lances
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:12:38 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:

I know
that actual lances were very long - which
version would be more realistic?

I don't know exactly how long they were, I am sure that varied. But I do know
that they were so long that a heavy counterweight had to be added at the butt
end of the lance so that it's centre of gravity would be around where the
knight would be holding it. (Incidently, that counterweight could be used as a
vicious kind of club, when attacking footsoldiers who were to close to the
mounted knight to be attacked with the point of the lance.)

As I understand it, the height of castle gates was supposed to allow enough
space for the lord of the castle to ride out of the gate with his lance up in
the air, so he could be seen to be carrying his banner ahead of his troops.
I am currently working on a biggish MOC castle, where I have designed the main
gate doors myself partly, in order to have them taller than the standard lego
doors.

Anyway, baclk to the length of lances, I think we are talking about at the very
least twelve feet or so.