 Castle / 10352
10351  |  10353
Subject:
"Non-Lego" Castles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 03:30:23 GMT

OK, prepare the rack for such a treasonous sentiment, but here goes....

While my youngest is actually quite good with our inventory of "Classic
Castle" sets - some bought for his older brother, othrs bought after the
fact to complete the "collection" - some of his friends tend to exhibit more
abusive behavior.  Searching for less expensive alternatives, I stumbled
across "Best Lock" - a Lego-like (but not quite completely
compatible)company.Their construction line seems common in K-Mart.

The basic brick dimension seems to be shorter than the basic Lego brick (4mm
vs. 5mm maybe???)with plates being half the thickness  of the standard Best
Lock brick.  While this presents compatibility issues, they do have some
very useful pieces:

A transition piece that (in a group of 4) provides a curved base mating the
classic tower octagon 2 pieces to a tower

Larger tower pieces - 4 of which fit under the same classic octagon tower
tops -a 4x4 instead of 3x3

A multitude of 1/4 round pieces for tower corners

A multitude of wall panels

Mini-figure like figures with different weapons and shields (interchangeable
with true minifigs - though heads and helmets are not interchangeable

While of debateable use as truly interchangeable pieces with Lego, this line
is currently VERY inexpensive.

At "Getthetoys.com" the largest castle is $34.95 (ex $52.50) with others at
$29.95 (ex $47.5), $24.95 (ex$44.50) and two sets at $9.95 (these formerly
at $22.50).

As playable substitutes and sources of interesting parts, I felt they were
worth the price.  Yes, not fully compatible, but quite a bit for the money.
They also have a line of Pirate ships though I have no experience with those.

While I DO feel that the older Lego lines should be played with,even my son
feels that a few of his friends shouldn't be let near the "good" castles.

Apologies for typos but Im not great with only my left hand - right arm's in
a sling for a bit.