 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 657
Re: Free-Form Camera Positioning with MLCAD, L3P, and POV-RAY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:25:00 GMT

Brad Hamilton wrote:
Background
MLCAD describes 3D points using three different coordinates: (x,y,z).  If
you are looking at the front of a model, the X axis defines how far a point
is to the left or right.  The Y access defines how high a point is (i.e.
up/down).  The Z access defines how far the point is away from the viewer
(i.e. in and out). L3P converts these coordinates into a somewhat different
system used by POV-RAY.  The nice thing is that the reader need not
understand the POV-RAY system to position the camera.

No, L3P uses the LDraw coordinate system.
This was an important design goal.
L2P (LGEO) uses its own coordinate system.

Otherwise a good description.
You might also want to tell about the QUAL and STUDS variables in the POV file,
used for making quick pre-renderings.

I'll reconsider location.dat (camera.dat) and look_at.dat,
please see http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=4891
/Lars