 CAD / 4891
4890  |  4892
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Follow up to Camera Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 00:07:33 GMT

Well, a number of times since L3P was announced back in August 1998
I have had discussions with several people about ways to control
the camera.

The basic idea of L3P was to automate the camera setting to what
(I suppose) is the most common situation: to have the model
in center of the rendering and having it fill the most.
You can control the viewing direction by specifying Latitude,Longitude
of the camera, see http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p.html#l3globe
And you can control the distortion (the camera lens angle)
see http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p_ca.html

Currently L3P *always* makes the camera look at the model's center,
- almost ("The viewing direction vector will be parallel to the direction
given by (Latitude,Longitude) but not necessarily through the globe's
center (which is the same as the model's center)")

You may change the look_at in the POV file, but it will
conflict with the calculated location of the camera and
produce renderings with the model off center.

However, I realize the need to have other views.
The truly right solution is to have a POV previewer in L3Lab:
Rotate/zoom/pan until you have a good view and then
generate the POV file. This is my goal and has (unfortunately)
been for a long time, see http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=3510
I still need to figure out the best way to rotate/zoom/pan in L3Lab...

But I can see two quicker until-then solutions:

1) Having two parts, location.dat and look_at.dat, containing just "cursors".
Place them in your model. L3P can now generate camera settings
according to the positions of the two parts.
Optionally L3P could move the camera backwards along the line given
by the two points to have the model fit in the rendering.

2) Having a camera.dat containing a pyramid (the viewing area) that
you can place in your model. You should rotate the camera part
to look at what you want. You can even tilt the camera - normally
L3P's camera is always upright.
Several camera67.dat, camera10.dat, camera90.dat etc.
could let you control the distortion (the camera lens angle).

You can choose either method, not both at the same time.
/Lars
PS. Here is my camera67.dat that I have experimented with.
Try moving the camera around yourself in MLCad - maybe the
lines (the pyramid and the direction vector) should be longer.

0 POV-Ray camera, horizontal angle 67.38 degrees (default)
0 19990520 Lars C. Hassing

2 24  0 0 0   133.33  100 -200
2 24  0 0 0  -133.33  100 -200
2 24  0 0 0   133.33 -100 -200