 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 570
Re: 27 story glass skyscraper MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:55:59 GMT

Brad Hamilton wrote...
This is my largest CAD model yet.  In fact, it is so large, you can hardly
tell it is made out of LEGO.  The studs hardly show up!  Each picture took
about an hour and a half to generate using POV-RAY on my P2-450.  The disk
was swapping like crazy the whole time, even though I have 128MB of RAM.
Does anyone have any clue as to why it would take this long?  Any ideas on
reducing this time?  I aleady helped things dramatically by using
sub-models.

Nice work. Looks very "real".

You have a lot of transparent parts which greatly increases time.
And the total number of parts and primitives is obviously high,
which leads to a huge number of frame level objects (see the
Messages tab in PovRay for various statistics) and thus a
large memory usage. This leads to swapping, which again
increases time considerably. Be sure to close as many programs
as possible before starting PovRay.

...  The studs hardly show up!

Then consider hiding them completely by changing the STUDS flag
inside the POV file to zero.

For pre-renderings to check the scene composition and the view
play with the QUAL flag, see http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p_q.html

I didn't post the .dat file because there are at least 5-6 sub-models (in
different files).  If you are interested, I'll email the set to you.

Please do.
/Lars