 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 407
Re: How do u get BMP to JPEG format?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:15:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Rick Hallman writes:
How do u get BMP files from Pov-Ray to JPEG w/ small file size without
corrputing the file? When i try to 'Save as...' in Paint, it makes
1) ENORMAS file size
2) Corrputed JPEG  'Could not open picture, possibly bot a picture file'

  There are zillions of graphics apps out there that will do this for you, but
the two I use most often are LViewPro and Paint Shop Pro, both of which are
available in shareware versions online.
  The conversion process can be done in either of two ways; the first is
really simple, and the second is even simpler.  In the first way, you can
select "batch conversion," which allows the conversion of many files of one
format (or several formats) to be converted to another format.  The BMP to JPG
conversion allows you to set the compression level to control how much detail
is lost.  The even simpler method is to open the BMP file and select "Save As"
from the File drop-down, then choose "JPG" from the list of possible formats.
  I'm not especially tech-savvy, but these methods have been consistently
successful for me.  LViewPro is extra nice in that it can read partially
corrupted JPEGs and re-save them in uncorrupted form; the image will have
visible errors, but these can then be tweaked using any graphics editor.
  Someone else suggested Netscape as a converter, and that'll certainly work,
but LViewPro and Paint Shop Pro are a little more versatile.  Adobe Photoshop
will naturally make conversions, too, as well as myriad other functions, but
for simple utility LVP and PSP are enough for my needs!
  Hope this helps!

     Dave!