 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2685
2684  |  2686
Subject:
Raytracing Challenge II: Remix Disco
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:01:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

Well, thanks to some recent encouragement from Zach Best and at the end of the first challenge I’ve decided to run this again with a new model. I do hope people enter as I very much enjoy seeing the different interpretations of the same source material.

Again entries should be submitted here or to me by email (please send to tgould(DOT)lego(A@T)gmail(DOT)com not the address in my lugnet posts) and marked clearly with “Remix Disco: Title”. I’ve dropped the competition element since no-one wanted to enter it last time so this is purely a challenge.

The challenge will close at 1800GMT on Monday 23rd October.

The model

As suggested by Anders Isaksson last time I’ve made something that encourages dark rendering. A scene entitled “Death goes to the Disco” (bonus points to anyone who knows where the name came from).

POV source

This time I’ve added a lot more rendering challenges to the model (lots of chrome and clear parts) and a bit more action. I’ve also left off the walls and ceiling so you can add them in any way you wish. I hope this can only increase the variety of entries.

The files

I’ve uploaded a regular and LGEO-optimised version of the model. The LGEO version has changes to the tiles and clips in order to improve rendering.

Regular MPD

LGEO-optimised MPD

Please note that the LightA.ldr submodel has comments about lighting.

The rules

The rules are much the same as last time.
  • Everyone is encouraged to join in. Even if you’ve never rendered before this might be a good chance to start and to learn something.

  • You can join at any time before the 23rd of October by submitting an entry to the lugnet.cad.ray newsgroup and marking it with the correct title.

  • Multiple entries are allowed in the challenge. Enter as many times as you wish.

  • Original model must be kept mostly intact and in its original colours. However props of any form may be used so long as the original model features obviously and prominently. Characters may be moved around to suit.

  • Any postproduction is allowed using whatever techniques and software you choose.

  • POVray or MegaPOV rendering is preferred as it allows the greatest number of people to learn.

  • All techniques and settings should be described as clearly as possible. This includes render settings and postproduction. If other people can reproduce your work then you have done well.

  • It is requested that you post a POVray file (or multiple files) containing as much information as possible to allow others to render your model. I understand that this may be difficult for those with multiple includes but please try. LGEO and lugnet_colors.inc (and the individual colour files) do not need to be included. Please add your name in a comment at the top of all files you include.

  • It is quite acceptable to use techniques mentioned in earlier entries however this should be credited. Verbatim copying of POV files is discouraged.
Need to know more?

Simply respond in this thread.

So I’ll leave you to Remix the Disco.

Tim