 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1584
Re: Outlined part edges in L3P?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.inst
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 03:39:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Lars C. Hassing writes:
Another problem I can think of with black cylinders is,
that on "concave edges" you will only see 1/4 of the cylinder,
making it seem only half as thick as other cylinders.

Still doesn't solve the 'optional lines', does it? You'd have to skip
those...

Well, today the pov code is camera independent. But you do have a well
defined camera and optional lines could be generated for that view.

If you're gonna do optional lines then it'll only look correct
when viewed from one direction.  This means you can apply the
standard cheat to solve the problem with cutoff cylinders on
concave edges.  Push all the edge cylinders toward the camera
by half a radius or so.  (Similar to glPolygonOffset)  You could
probably make a EdgeLineOffset macro so you only have to change
one line when you change the camera.  Or perhaps you can tie
it to the camera macros.

Perhaps if you move the optional lines away from the camera,
you'd only see the ones that peek out from around the edges of
the model.  But then they'd be partially obscured.

Don

only