 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 155
Re: Color problems in L3P
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:40:45 GMT

Chuck Sommerville wrote...
I downloaded this really cool loader model:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/models/?n=1086

In MLcad, the claws are black.  After making the POV file with L3P, the claws
render yellow in POV and some of the decals go away.

Looking at the files closer, I noticed that the claw part is defined as a sub
model and is defined as black.  Where the claw part is used in the hand,  the
part is defined as yellow.  MLcad uses the subpart color, but L3P overrides
the color with the subpart color.  I believe the part should be rendered
black, and the decals should show up.  Am I doing something wrong?

Well, like HAL 9000 had difficulties handling contradicting orders,
POV apparently has too! The following extract from the model:

0 FILE wl_lhand.dat
1 14 0 -14 -50 1 0 0 0 0.98 0.17 0 -0.17 0.98 wl_claw.DAT
0 FILE wl_claw.dat
1 0 0 0 -30 1 -0.00 0 -0.00 -1 0 0 0 -1 2880.DAT

is converted by L3P to:

#declare wl__claw_dot_dat = object {
  object { _2880_dot_dat matrix <...> matrix <...> material/texture { Color0 } }
}
#declare wl__lhand_dot_dat = union {
  object { wl__claw_dot_dat matrix <...> material/texture { Color14 } }
}

In wl__lhand_dot_dat L3P tells POV to render wl__claw_dot_dat
using Color14, but wl__claw_dot_dat says: use Color0 for 2880.

In LDraw the rule is clear, use Color0. But the result varies in POV,
sometime Color0, sometimes Color14 - maybe dependent on the
number of other objects in the object/union.

To avoid problems, apply color once!
Use color 16 when referencing submodels that uses colors.
(Try changing color in all references to wl_xxx to 16)
/Lars
PS. See also http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?n=1285