 CAD / MLCad / 585
584  |  586
Subject:
My top wishes for MLCad...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:54:18 GMT

Some of this I'm going to look into using PERL to fill in (any advice on
quickly rendering a piece to a BMP greatly appreciated) but I just
wanted to share with you my perspective on using MLCad to produce
instructions to be used with kids...

Roughly in order of desireability from my perspective:

0.  Display of comments for a step in the picture file for that step.

1.  Ability to introduce parts in one step, and position them in a later
     step.  This would allow the production of instructions that are pretty
     similar to the LEGO published instructions, where they may show a
     part out of position, with arrows where it will be going in one step,
and
     in the next step the part is in the right position.  Even more
effective when
     MLCad is being used in view mode as an interactive instruction book,
like
     some of the LEGO CDRoms, then the  pieces "snap" into place from one
     step to the next.

2.  Ability to display, with graphics, the pieces and how many of each used
in
     each step (this is what I'm going to try to perl'ify part of).

3.  If #2 is implemented, ability to inset the generated part list for each
step into
     the picture for that step.  In view mode, adding a "part window" to
display the
     parts and part count for the current step.

4.  "Step Transitions/Animations" which are really only useful if #1 is
implemented,
     this would be, for example, a slow movement (in a straight line) of a
piece from
     where it was positioned in one step to its new position in the next
step.  In other words,
     generating a frame sequence to slo-mo the movement of pieces.

I'm not literate w.r.t. 3-D rendering technology, but I am a competent C/C++
and Windows
programmer, so I'd be willing to help out if Michael would so desire!

Thanks!
-Peter
Coach, FLL Team #1096: The Unibots