 CAD / MLCad / 2003
Re: Ghost bug in 3.11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:36:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Lee Gaiteri wrote:
I discovered when rendering with ldglite that it doesn't ignore commands like  0
CLEAR and 0 STEP in submodels even when MLCad does. (Odd, considering it does
recognize submodels.) Hopefully the next version of LPub will eliminate that
problem by creating special .dat files for each step, but just to be safe for
now I figured I'd ghost out the step and clear commands, and the buffer
exchanges too. ldglite renders just fine with those ghosted.

Did you use 1.1.5 and the -mf or -mF options?  I know these options make
ldglite ignore STEP.

The step dats that LPub makes do have STEP and ROTSTEP, but eliminate buffer
exchage and clear and such, before passing the step dat to ldglite.

Well it turns out, you can ghost meta instructions just fine in MLCad, but it
never saves them as ghosted. The only way to ghost them properly is to manually
edit the .mpd file in a text editor. MLCad recognizes on load that they're
supposed to be ghosted, but once you make any changes they go back to normal. So
MLCad is saving ghosted meta commands as unghosted.

I don't think you want to GHOST out those commands.  This is not what GHOST is
supposed to be used for.  In MLCAD you might want to preceed these commands with
WRITE (which MLCAD uses to mean comment), also // would also work.

I'd just as soon not worry about it and have ldglite ignore those commands, but
no way am I delving into the source just for that.

As Don has indicated, he is already looking at this code.

While I'm at it, any chance for some new meta-commands? I think these would be
lovely:

0 MLCAD CALLOUT [number] [part or submodel]
0 MLCAD CALLOUT BUILD [number] [submodel]

The number would be shown as 2x, 3x, etc. in the corner of the callout diagram
(ignoring 0 or 1). The BUILD option would show the entire submodel as a callout,
step by step. In either case the part or submodel would also include position
and rotation info, though position would be relative to the default placement in
the box.

MLCAD would have to make a *lot* of assumptions based on the scant info you
propose above.  How will MLCAD know when to put in dividers?  How will MLCAD
know whether the dividers are horizontal or vertical?  How ill MLCAD know what
kinds of margins to use between steps, steps and step numbers, steps and
dividers?

Do you want nested callouts (sub-submodels called out by submodels which are
called out at some level?)

Lummox JR

Kevin