 CAD / MLCad / 1231
1230  |  1232
Subject:
Interesting non-LEGO uses for MLCad (also applies to LDraw and alike editors)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:40:27 GMT

Last night I decided to remodel my living room - currently there's only 1
spot in the room suitable for watching DVDs with the full surround
experience, and movie nights with mates are becoming a regular now. So I sat
down and though "hey, why not use the computer to move the furniture around
and print out different layouts". So I sat down, and then realised my home
PC had a distinct lack of design tools - when playing games you tend not to
think about 3D Studio or AutoCAD! Then it struck me - CAD. MLCad! So i drew
a scale plan of my living room, created scale furniture plans and stuck them
altogether in an MPD. Then I spent about an hour moving, rotating, and
printing pics to see what layouts worked and what didn't, and went to bed
feeling much happier. Saturday I'll probably put one of the plans into
action if I feel energetic. I don't have the pics with me here at work, but
I'll post them on BrickShelf tomorrow. I've also decided to take it one step
further and actually build a 3D scale model of my living room and furniture
so I can check the looks in 3D and render in POV, just for the fun of it.

And now to the point of my post ... what non-LEGO uses have other people
used LDraw, MLCad, LeoCAD, etc. (sorry if I didn't mention your favourite
program!) for in the past? It might give me more ideas other than just
re-arranging my house :)

Dan