Re: OMR Filenaming Standard Change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Imre Papp writes:
Hi,

My opinion is that it is better idea to use ?xxxx??.mpd or ?xxxx??.dat as
main filenames, than main.dat.

Like I mentioned in my reply to Tim, giving the .dat the same name as the .mpd
gives even more consistency. The .mpd is named xxxxa-yy.mpd so if we name the
.dat the same way, it has all the basic information(#, modifier, year) and the
user doesn't have to switch thought patterns.
"OK, I un-mpd'd xxxx-yy.mpd and now I open xxxx-yy.dat" instead of "OK, I
un-mpd'd xxxx-yy.mpd and now which dat file do I open? Oh, yeh, main.dat"
IMO it seems simpler and more obvious.

<snipped Pros:>
My cons:
If we accept the Ryan's suggestion, we still have to be able to name the
alternate sets in some ways ('alt.dat' currently) . If we omit the letter
'm' form the filename naming alternate sets remains unsolved.

I know that it had been suggested to have files for the box-back models that
were obvious on how they were built, but I don't think this is a good idea
because the whole purpose of the OMR was to have ".dat instruction books" and
since those models aren't in the instruction book. So I think that the only
time we'd use the "alt" is for Technic sets. Personally I don't care what the
name for this is, but wouldn't something like xxxx(A)alt.dat work. Just a
suggestion. I'm not going to ebate this one.

Ryan