RE: OMR Filenaming Standard Change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:14:48 GMT

Hi,

Ryan's discrepancy is with the main file name for the set, which in
the OMR Filenaming Convention is 'main.dat.'  He would prefer that it
be 'mXXXX.dat,' where XXXX is the set number.  He also said that he
recalled suggesting that, but the decision was made against that.

I'll let him defend his proposal in any replies he might make.

The purpose of this post is to bring that aspect of the naming
convention into question again, if that's the desire of the group as a
whole.  So, please reply with opinions and feedback on the issue.

My opinion is that it is better idea to use ?xxxx??.mpd or ?xxxx??.dat as
main filenames, than main.dat.

My pros:
This is the first level file of a set and this should at once orient the
viewer what set he/she is viewing.

It does not waste the most important position in the header for a
meaningless 'main.dat' name.

It keeps the consistency of the related model files.

It makes possible to temporarily store set files in the ldraw/models
directory without using set subdirectories. (When I examine the 'to be
official' set submissions in lugnet.cad.dat.models.sets I simply dump the
files the ldraw/models directory for temporary viewing. It is always
annoying situation when the main dat file identifies itself as 'main.dat'
because likely there is already a main.dat.)

My cons:
If we accept the Ryan's suggestion, we still have to be able to name the
alternate sets in some ways ('alt.dat' currently) . If we omit the letter
'm' form the filename naming alternate sets remains unsolved.

I vote 'yes' to change the naming convention in some way. My main point is
only to get rid of the 'main.dat' and 'alt.dat' filenames.

Ampi

Imre Papp
Geometria GIS Systems House
  email: ipapp@geometria.hu