Re: Questions from a newbee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 11:40:08 GMT

ludo soete wrote:

Hi,

I do have some questions, and i'm sure someone can answer those.

I made a .DAT model,using the MLCAD program, of a passengercar, and made a
second one from an other passenger car.
I made some Minifigs too (standing and sitting position of a Firemen,Railroad
worker & a woman).
Then i would like to post this on my home page and LUGNET.
Now my remark / question:
I note that the wheelbase,(the buffer,magnet,bogie plate,..) is a
repetitive 'part'. So i gues that i can draw this as a separate .DAT file and
treat this file as a normal piece, o.k .
So i do have to place those files (passengercar.DAT & wheelbase.DAT) on my
home page, isn't it? Or is there an other solution,like 'embed' the
wheelbase.DAT file into the main file 'passengercar.DAT.
Or how does this work?
As you can see,i would like to use 'subfiles' witch can be reused into other
drawings. Only i don't know what the best solution is when i would like to
spread it around.
I'll still have to learn a lot.

Regards, and a lot of drawing fun.
Ludo

Firstly you should have posted this to lugnet.cad or lugnet.cad.dev.
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw is for discussion of the ldraw.org web page only.

As for your question, what you want to do with the submodels is fine. For posting
to your home page you can use either a zip file or post the dat files
seperatly,if that is what you want to do. For posting to lugnet, however, you
will need to get a program that can make mpd files. a program that can split mpd
files is also important as many models and parts etc are posted as mpd files. a
mpd file is basicly a dat file that holds many dat files inside. each file inside
the dat file has a 0 FILE xxx.dat line refering to the dat file. when you unpack
the mpd file, the subfiles all appear on your hard disk and you can then look at
them. Someone else here can tell you more about mpd files, including where to get
a program for working with them. I look forward to seeing your models as they
sound good.

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com