Re: New rule for SOTM/MOTM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 13:44:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Philip Heinrich wrote:

This makes sense as I agree that it's gotten a little silly to have only 2
entries up for voting some months, (albeit, this month in particular, really
good ones) but I also think that the result of this currently is going to be
that there will only be about 2 or 3 rounds for each contest (particularly SOTM)
per year; unless something is done to publicize this contest a little more I
think that "Scene of the Month" will quickly become a misnomer.  I know I've
scene a lot of good renders on Brickshelf that are never entered in SOTM so
maybe it's just a matter of letting people know about the contest.

I concur that the contests would benefit from more publicity. I have only seen
them mentioned at LDraw.org and here at Lugnet.

I have no idea what costs and resources are involved, but what if LDraw.org
advertised the contests on Brickshelf? As events this summer revealed,
Brickshelf occupies a central position in the greater community of LEGO and
LDraw hobbyists.

If advertising is not financially (or philosophically) feasible, what if
LDraw.org opened its own Brickshelf account showcasing contest winners and
current candidates? This would not replace the existing pages at LDraw.org, but
might direct attention to them and to the contests, particularly if the gallery
was updated often enough to appear in the "Recent Folders" page.

It may be that ToS/committee/regulation/ratification/parliamentary conflicts
obstruct the latter approach, too, but that's OK - my point is to consider ways
of leveraging the obvious popularity of services like Brickshelf to attract
attention to the LDraw.org contests.

Jim