Subject:
more detailed Status (of File) in Parts Tracker?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:16:54 GMT

Happy Holidays, Y'all!  :D

I have brought up, in the past, a point of concern I have
with the Status displayed by the Parts Tracker.  I have
believed, and continue to believe, that a file's Status
should be calculated *independently* of whatever "subfiles"
that part may reference.

To illustrate my point, please consider this DAT file:
47405.dat, "Boat Bow Plate  8 x 12"
("http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/47405.dat")

In spite of having the prerequisite two votes from non-Admins
to make it "Awaiting Admin Review," the Parts Tracker says this
file's Status is "3 subfiles aren't certified."  The three
"subfiles" in question are:

* p/3-16cyli.dat, "Cylinder 0.1875"
* p/3-4cyli.dat, "Cylinder 0.75"
* p/3-8cyli.dat, "Cylinder 0.375"

These three "uncertified subfiles" are already officially
released primitives.  Thus, there is no real reason I can
see to *not* consider this file, 47405.dat, to be "Awaiting
Admin Review."

I, once again, ask that the Status displayed for a part be
updated to show what that file's *individual* Status is,
*regardless* of whether or not that file has any "subfiles."
(I.e.:  Is this file needing more votes?  Is it awaiting
Admin review?  Is this file Certified?)  I would be perfectly
happy with a "concatenated" Status; e.g.:

* "Needs 1 more vote.  (2 subfiles aren't certified.)"
* "Awaiting Admin review.  (9 subfiles aren't certified.)"
* "3 Hold votes.  (53 subfiles aren't certified.)"

I believe this would assist enormously in finding those files
most in need of "help" from Reviewers.  ;)

Thanks,
Franklin