Re: Bow-tie quads in BFC-certified parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:35:48 GMT

Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:

On a side note, I've added code to LDView that will disable BFC support in
any file that contains bow-tie quads (as well as generating an error).  So
it's not like the problem can't be worked around, but it does go against the
official review guidelines.  (Yes, I could have made it so only those
particular quads didn't get BFC'd, but that would have been a lot more work,
and I didn't feel it was worth it.)  So the the first official LDView with
BFC support won't be hampered too much by this problem.

It's funny how quickly I can forget the details of a complex task.  For
instance, I totally forgot about the NOCLIP BFC command (which can disable
clipping for specific sub-sections of a file).  Mind you, I implemented it, and
believe that it works correctly, but I forgot that it existed when dealing with
the above problem.

So I went back and changed my fix to use the functionality already present to
deal with the NOCLIP command, and now only the "bad" quads have BFC turned off.
Oh, and this change was cleaner and required less code changes than the old one.
Gotta like that.

How often do you find bow-tied parts in BFC CERTIFY'd parts?
I meant that's a real error that shouldn't be allowed by the parts
tracker isn't it? Is there a rule that can be added to the checks
done on the files that are submitted that will check for this?

Do you spit out any error messages?

-Kyle

--
                              _