Subject:
Bow-tie quads in BFC-certified parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:42:43 GMT

(Note that I’m sending followups to the lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw newsgroup alone, because that seems to be the appropriate group, but I think the audience of the lugnet.cad.dat.parts group should see this.)

In the process of testing my next major LDView version, I have discovered that at least one (and probably more than one) official part is both BFC-certified and contains bow-tie quads. All things considered, this isn’t too surprising, but I would like to suggest that something be done to attempt to prevent this in the future.

According to the L3P -check messages page here, any “Bad vertex sequence” warnings in a BFC-certified file should result in a hold. The reason for this is that there’s no “right” way to reorder the vertices, and half of the possible ways will end up with the quad facing one direction while the other half will have the quad facing the other direction. (For reference, I found the problem in the first place because LDView sometimes reorders in a different order from L3Lab.)

Unfortunately, this “Bow-tie in a BFC-certified file” check isn’t enforced during the automated submission check. Any chance of getting that added? I know the tracker already has a fair list of planned future features, and I understand the realities of volunteer software development, so I’ll understand if it doesn’t get done for a while.

Unfortunately, it’s very easy to overlook this problem when reviewing a part. Additionally, the part review FAQ here states that bow-tie quads will show up in blue when mytest6 is enabled. This doesn’t appear to be the case. Presumably anyone who has read that section assumes that the lack of blue quads indicates a lack of bow-tie quads. That FAQ question should really be updated.

On a side note, I’ve added code to LDView that will disable BFC support in any file that contains bow-tie quads (as well as generating an error). So it’s not like the problem can’t be worked around, but it does go against the official review guidelines. (Yes, I could have made it so only those particular quads didn’t get BFC’d, but that would have been a lot more work, and I didn’t feel it was worth it.) So the the first official LDView with BFC support won’t be hampered too much by this problem.

--Travis