Re: Contributer Agreement v2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:23:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Here's the CA v2.  If you have criticism, please also offer a proposed
solution.

I'd like to request that future revisions be posted in a new thread.  It would
be easier to follow discussions that way.

I'm making this request primarily because this thread has grown to over 100
messages.  But it really applies to any "request for discussion" messages.

Good suggestion given the way LUGNET is set up now.

My main reason for posting revisions in the same thread is so the discussions
following the various revisions can be linked. But, you are right, when it grows
to over 100, then it becomes difficult to navigate.

I wish 100 was a user selectable option, or an option by group or something. But
I don't know enough server internals to know if that's feasible.

For now, I agree, start new threads for revisions.

I'd like to see the option on LUGNET of showing dots on message pages for
threads over 100. It could be something individual users turn on and off.

xpost to: admin.general

One of the primary ways that I do LUGNET research (and the way I used to do the
research on applicable prior license related threads that started this round of
discussion) is to use the search function to look for threads, then use tree
view to read the whole thread and find the key posts.

I would like to say I agree with the idea of starting a new thread for a new
major version or revision. But I would like to ask a favour of the thread
starter in that case... give a URL to the anchor point of the new thread in a
post to the thread being superceded. That way when someone comes back 3 years
later they can see the linkage.

(it's true that the searcher will no doubt find both threads if their keywords
are picked with some care, but this is a small additional aid which should not
take too much effort to do and will certainly not HURT things)

Thanks!