Re: Moving the License Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:32:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 04:52:20PM +0000, Steve Bliss wrote:

Oh, and I agree that the checkbox is evil, and shouldn't exist.  Just
like we can't forsee why we would like to change the license, the users
can't forsee what changes they are agreeing to.

'Evil' is a bit too strong of a word here, and I think it's an unfair labeling.

The checkbox doesn't say that the author (not user) forsees the changes they're
agreeing to, rather it says that they put their trust in the SteerCo to guide
the license in their best interest. It's a trust issue, not an information
issue. If the author doesn't trust, they don't have to check it.

Now, I'm not saying I'm insisting on keeping the checkbox in - some are rubbed
wrong by it, others see it as unnecessary, so it doesn't have to be there. I
just want to clear the air about why I don't believe it's evil.

I get the sense, and maybe it's just me, that some of the reservations here [1]
come from a distrust of the motives of those who would be leading any chage.
I've seen this in other aspects of the LDraw community too. Now, that sense has
lessened from say, a year ago, because we have a much more stable and defined
community. Still, I wonder what can be done to address peoples' concerns *and*
build mutual trust across the membeship and the leadership.

-Tim

[1] Expressed by a few people, this isn't aimed at you, Dan, in any way, I'm
just choosing to hang it here.