Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:36:49 GMT

Just for the record: IANAL

Wayne Gramlich wrote:
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

From <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html>:

  »However, linking a "work that uses the Library" with
   the Library creates an executable that is a
   derivative of the Library (because it contains
   portions of the Library), rather than a "work that
   uses the library". The executable is therefore
   covered by this License. Section 6 states terms for
   distribution of such executables.«

I.e. a rendered LDR file _is_ considered a derivative
work and thus covered by the license.  LGPL is only
special for dynamic linking (roughly speaking at least).

I read the exact same clause and come to exactly the
opposite conclusion.  My reasoning is that because linking
is something you do to code, not LDraw parts; the clause
has no bearing to LDraw parts.  Is my interpretation
right, or is yours?

Mine.  LDraw files are source code (at least according to
the definition in the LGPL).  And unless you consider
rendering a specific kind of compilation, LGPL would not
allow you to do anything useful with a parts library covered
by it.  Since the parts library is "linked" statically into
the renderings, and cannot be substituted after the
rendering has been made, the clause cited above takes
effect.

However, the ambiguity of the GPL license in important
areas like this make the L/GPL a weak candidate for the
LDraw license.

I would hardly say that GPL or LGPL are ambiguous licenses.
They may be difficult to understand, but I only know one
point where GPL and LGPL are slightly ambiguous - and so are
almost all other licenses in the same case.

Jacob
--
»When Roman engineers built a bridge, they had to stand under it while
the first legion marched across. If programmers today worked under