Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:17:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:35:48AM +0000, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Tim Courtney wrote:
Right now we are in a situation where to include a part in the
library under the new (TBD) license, we must gain explicit
permission from each author. This is a significant headache, as we
realize there will be some authors we simply can't get ahold
of--some parts will have to be distributed separately or re-made by
an author agreeing to the license. Setting ourselves up for a
similar situation in the future in the case any revisions are
required would be irresponsible.

I suppose that is a valid point. But I am (as a programmer and
parts author) not at all willing to give a single entity any
special right to change the license to my works (this includes both
LDraw.org and FSF).

Would it work if the license says that any future changes need author
approval, but have a timeout?  If after, say, 30 days of asking for
approval (on ldraw, lugnet, and in email) there's no responce, the
approval is assumed?  Maybe 30 days is too short a time, but since these
things should be so rare, even 6 months wouldn't be out of the question
for getting approval.

Wouls something like that work?

(personal thoughts)
I think your suggestion could work. I'm very wary of requiring absolute explicit
permission for any future changes, though I do want to ensure the authors'
wishes are considered in potential future changes. The reason is, people come
and go, or are incommunicado for long periods and resurface. The community
shouldn't suffer because people go away or lose interest.

Giving active participants the opportunity to sign off (or not) to future
license changes (if any are necessary) is good, and the timeout allows the
community to retain contributions of people who aren't around anymore.

It is my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong, by pointing
out a cite) that placing the library or the parts in the public
domain does not sufficiently protect the parts library.
Specifically, a Public Domain license does not allow us to:

- Require (re)distribution in an open-source format, preventing
  redistributions in a closed-source format

Correct. But do we really want that? That would as far as I can see
also prevent Larry from selling his printed building instructions
without including a LDraw source file.

Or allowing LEGO to "import" ldraw files (even if they support exporting
to ldraw) without putting up the complete original library for download.
Is that what we want?

If LEGO (or any other creator of a proprietary LEGO CAD program) was able to
import LDraw, I would like the license to require their software also write to
LDraw.

-Tim