Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:51:10 GMT

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Thomas Garrison wrote:

I would observe that Linux and the GNU Project seem to have done fine,
despite frequent commercial redistribution for a charge (by Red Hat,
Mandrake, etc.).

My understanding about that was that the charge was a media charge, not a charge
for the library or work itself. In particular I thought a lot of the revenue
that Red Hat receives is for support.

1) That is Red Hat's business model, but not always or exclusively.  For
example, Red Hat used to make a product named MetroX (I can't remember if
it replaces XFree86 or a window manager), and buying a Red Hat CD gave you
the right to install it on one machine.

2) Tim's statement was "Prevent commercial redistribution of the library
for a charge".  That doesn't say anything about media charges vs.
convenience charges or anything else.  Any, e.g., publisher who included
the LDraw library on a disc in a book and *didn't* let any passerby take
that disc without buying the book would violate that idea.

TWS Garrison