Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:26:39 GMT

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 01:54:41AM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
* Author grants perpetual license but does not block LDraw from
  revising as necessary (as long as open source, free distribution is
  adhered to)

Wasn't there a question if an author agrees to distribute the part under
a specific license?  As in, if you change the license, do you need to
get permission from the authors, etc?

* License should apply to other "works" not just parts
* Assurance to user that parts will not disappear from the library

Are we still allowing us to rename parts?  What about retire parts that
were a mistake, or a depriciated shortcut?  Since we said that the
license is for other works as well, are those not allowed to be
removed/merged as well?

Is this all implementation?  I think some of these should fit into
goals.

Open issues: (some are related to implementation and are so noted)

* Parts migration... require explicit recertification? (implementation?)

"migration" - do you mean converting to another format?  To another
license?

* One license or two (implmentation)

It's only partially implementation - some of the arguments that were
made were based upon goals, but I'm not sure about that.

I do want to move forward with this, I'm just worried that if I don't
say anything now, I won't be able to ask for clarifications later.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com