Subject:
on the word "official" in "OMR"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 17:48:43 GMT

Pardon me if this has come up somewhere already...I just wanna register a
suggestion...

On any resource that contains the phrase "Official Model Repository" in
the context of LEGO sets, I think it would be a good idea to define what
"official" means very carefully and explicitly in some sort of highly
visible disclaimer, for example maybe something like:

   This is a compilation of unofficial, fan-created data files.  The patterns
   of LEGO elements depicted in these files represent intellectual property
   owned by the LEGO Group of companies, which does not sponsor, authorize,
   or endorse this compilation.

   The word "official" is not meant to imply that the compilation itself or
   the files within it are official in any way, but rather that the data
   files contain unofficial representations of official LEGO products.

   This compilation has been assembled primarily as reference material for
   LEGO enthusiasts who wish to learn more about particular LEGO sets, or
   who wish to generate various static or dynamic digital renderings of
   official LEGO models without the use of a camera.

--Todd