Re: Parts tracker - how do I get in touch with a reviewer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:57:10 GMT

"Franklin W. Cain" <fwcain@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  But, seriously, when I really
took a good look at those minifig heads (in real life), I said,
"Hey! These look *really* similar! Once I do this one, I can make
just a few changes and I'll have this one, then this one, and then..."

It still took time and patience to get the patterns right, and you did so
many! I couldn't have created some of my models without those parts.

The pattern you did was so "busy" that I couldn't imagine *anyone*
dedicated enough to try it, and then you did a *very* good version
of it.  (Shows you what *I* know, eh? ;-)

I sort of jumped in at the deep end on that head. I really wanted to author
a part, and I really wanted to do some renders with Maul in, so I decided to
have a go at it. And after 2 weeks I wished I hadn't! It was just so fiddly.
I ended up writing a couple of VB apps to help me out - one to calculate Z
values on the head surface from a given X and Y so I could just plot the
face from the front by measuring the co-ords from the large scan I did, and
another one to actually draw each triangle and quad over a wireframe head so
I could make sure there were no overlaps and that the "corners" of the head
matched the pattern (and obviously I need to check the program as Carsten
spotted an overlap near the mouth). I learnt a lot from authoring that
part - and next time I'll pick something *much* easier!

Dan