Re: May 2001 ldraw.org MOTM voting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 05:31:03 GMT

hmm allright. thanks

--

And they said 'Computers will never be in general use'

"Terry K" <legoverse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
"I" didn't do that.  According to the email that John Miller sent me, he • had
converted the model to DXF and imported into Bryce 4 for rendering.

What exactly he converted from, or what he used to convert with, he did • not
specify.

-- Terry K --

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Rolf Redford writes:
how did you do that? so far only leocad exports obj and i couldnt find a
convertor for rest of types of 3d data files bryce supports.

--

And they said 'Computers will never be in general use'

"Terry K" <legoverse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Burkhard Schloemer writes:
Terry, could you please provide me with more info on "Bryce"?

Bryce, or more accurately Bryce 4, is a renderer.  It is a commercially
available program that is very powerful, and the results are very good.

A small correction here;  I made a mistake - only one of the models was
rendered using Bryce 4 (the truck).  The other model was done with • another
rendering package, 3D Studio Max (the space station).

Both yield very stunning results.  The hitch is you have to buy the • program.
And you need to do a conversion from the ldraw .dat file format to the
format used by these renderers.  Of course, you have to convert .dat • files
to POV-Ray code to use that as well, but thanks to Lars that conversion • is
nigh-well idiot proof :-).  Conversion tools are available for those • other
programs - though I don't recall exactly how or where, as I don't have
either of those programs.  I think I do remember that Onyx made a • converter
for use with 3D Max.

Ask around the group if your interested - or better yet, use the search • tool
to dig up past info that has been posted on the subject.

-- Terry K --