Re: May 2001 ldraw.org MOTM voting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:48:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Burkhard Schloemer writes:
Terry, could you please provide me with more info on "Bryce"?

Bryce, or more accurately Bryce 4, is a renderer.  It is a commercially
available program that is very powerful, and the results are very good.

A small correction here;  I made a mistake - only one of the models was
rendered using Bryce 4 (the truck).  The other model was done with another
rendering package, 3D Studio Max (the space station).

Both yield very stunning results.  The hitch is you have to buy the program.
And you need to do a conversion from the ldraw .dat file format to the
format used by these renderers.  Of course, you have to convert .dat files
to POV-Ray code to use that as well, but thanks to Lars that conversion is
nigh-well idiot proof :-).  Conversion tools are available for those other
programs - though I don't recall exactly how or where, as I don't have
either of those programs.  I think I do remember that Onyx made a converter
for use with 3D Max.

Ask around the group if your interested - or better yet, use the search tool
to dig up past info that has been posted on the subject.

-- Terry K --