 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 68
Re: glut conundrum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:51:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Ray Sanders writes:
Now to todays question..  Is there some reason why the 'Black' background
generates a funky shade of burnt-green ?  I think I see the line in the color
table that causes it, but before I got changing things slam-bam, thought I >would ask around to see if this was an intentional thing.

That may be a very old bug.  I remember there was a problem with the
background color way back when.  You can check the logs or browse the
current (and old) source at the sourceforge to compare.

Indeed, it is a very old bug, and it appears that someone ran into this more
recently based on the following comment in the 0.9.5 code ...

  // NOTE:  I dont understand the colortable stack used in translate_color()
  // so use the default color_table to avoid bad colors (bad stack ptr?).

So someone else saw a different symptom of the same issue

What appears to be happening (in 0.5) is that the function 'translate_color' is
called from 'colormenu' and it wants zcolor_table to be valid. But, at the
conclusion of the previous rendering, znamelist_stack_index is decremented and
the associated color table is freed, so what 'translate_color' sees in memory is
detritus left over from the previous allocation. It just so happens, that on the
Mac runtime, that detritus is intact other than the entry for black. Immediately
after 'colormenu' changes the background color, a new rendering is invoked,
which reallocates the color table stack and everything in the rendering looks
cool. So the error is transient during the instance that 'colormenu' is calling
'translate_color'.

Ray