 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 583
Re: Mac Brick CAD 2.1b1 New Release
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 03:45:42 GMT

* This might bloat the app, but can a ray-tracing renderer (like POV-Ray) be
  absorbed into the mix?

I don't intend to incorporate the POV source into the application, but I do
intend (one day) to automate the POV process more by using - interapplication
communication protocols. Specifically this will be to create QTVR files and
animations with POV images. But this isn't a priority.

I am thinking of updating L3P Launcher so that it integrates more
completely with POV-Ray.  I'll add a POV-Ray window that allows you
to set basic POV-Ray settings (like size, file format, etc).  After
the image renders, L3P Launcher will even show you the image.  I am
planning on using the command line version of POV-Ray to do this
though, not the GUI version.  I will actually try to integrate with
both, but I think I will be able to integrate with the command line
version better.  It will be awhile, but I am planning on it, and will
probably start working on it in the next few weeks.

My main goal is to be able to set L3P settings like camera and lights
and see the effect in just a few seconds, maybe integrating with
Xgrid to get faster renders even.

Andrew, I don't know what your commitment is to the application (especially
after seeing my bullet list, Hah!) but a final release MBC will make a lot of
people like me really, really happy---especially since The Lego Company will
probably never recognize the Mac platform...  even most certainly with their
pending LDraw knock-off. I hope you continue development in earnest. Please
set something up on Kagi or the like so we can do our part to contribute to
your efforts. Not having to run VPC and Windoze is worth gold, you know. :-)

Don't worry MBC will continue to live and evolve for the moment under my
control. Only remember that as a solo amatuer developer who has a
full time job
it takes time...

Well said.

James