 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 391
390  |  392
Subject:
ldglite, new glut, and l3p. Good stuff.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:50:56 GMT

Hi! Its been a while since I've worked with ldglte on my Mac, or with any
LDraw-related things in general, so I've been sort of out of the loop. Please
forgive any redundant comments I make, and the haphazard organization of this
post. Thanks!

OK, first of all, my web site is the one with the old 'updated GLUT 4
Installer' package on it:

http://wind.prohosting.com/anoved/sw.g4i.html

This automated installer is still available, but it is obsolete (I need to
update my site). The installer functions fine, just that version of the GLUT
doesn't fix the keyboard issues under Mac OS X 10.2.x.

I've got 10.2.3 on my Mac, and until a few days ago I hadn't used ldglite since
I upgraded to 10.2, so I was disappointed to find that there was a problem with
keyboard input (as noted earlier). Obviously, the GLUT on my web site didn't
fix this. However, I am very happy to confirm that the Apple GLUT at
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Graphics_3D/glut.htm does
indeed fix everything up. Not only does it enable keyboard input and other nice
things like the contextual menus, it also makes ldglite act more like a regular
Mac OS X application - once you launch it from the terminal, it appears as a
seperate application icon in the dock and has its own [generic GLUT] menu bar.
Very slick.

I am also incredibly pumped to discover that L3P is now available on the Mac.
This is great news, and lots of fun!

A few other assorted things:

My Mac MPD Utility - http://wind.prohosting.com/anoved/sw.mmu.html - still
seems to work under Mac OS X 10.2.3, although I haven't tested it very much.

Don, in my opinion there is still very much room for ldglite on the Mac. I
still find it much more robust and stable than the alternatives, especially
with the new Apple GLUT (which clears up the issues with making sure you click
in the window before typing and all that). Although part look-up is, of course,
something to be desired.

As some of you may know, if you save a command line script (or executable) as a
file ending in ".command" and make sure that it is executable (chmod +x
file.command), you can double-click it from the Mac OS X finder to launch it
(through the Terminal) like a regular application. For instance, I've made a
file entitled ldglite.command that contains the following line:

cd /Applications/Lego; ./ldglite -le -v800,600

When I double click this file, it launches the Terminal, runs the script, and
opens the editor (as its own application now). Pretty slick!

Well, its good to be back in the world of ldraw. Lots of good developments!

Jim DeVona