 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 375
Re: Glut fixes and Offscreen Rendering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:23:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, David Goeb writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, James Reynolds writes:
FYI: there is a 10.2.3 update.  OpenGL is updated to 1.4 in this release.

[snip]

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how many Mac users would
want an offscreen command line oriented renderer, but I just hate to
give extra goodies to some platforms, and not others.

Cuz most new cards (on OSX) do Accelerated-Offscreen-Rendering!!!
Yep! Fast-as if not faster than to screen(some PCI cards too).

Would that make an OSX user more likely to want to do an offscreen
render?  The way I see it, the offscreen rendering is really only
useful if you want it for a background process like a CGI script in
a web server, or if you wanted to generate a bunch of different views
to look at later, or maybe for an animation, or finally, if you want
to generate really large images for say printing instructions.

Meanwhile, back on the GLUT issue.  Apparently, according to the
mac-opengl mailing list, the 10.2.3 update does not yet fix the
keyboard issue, but a new version of the glut sources with a fix
is due "real soon now" at the apple developer site, if you're a
do it yourself type person.

http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Graphics_3D/GLUT_for_OS_X.htm

In the meantime someone else on the mailing list suggested another
possible fix that sounds promising.  I can't try it myself, but perhaps
someone with an actual Mac could test it.