 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 228
Re: New LDRAW renderer for the Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:14:20 GMT

in art1$*ní­״ꝝ×´P
Yes its true, however don't too excited yet.

For several months now I have been working on a new LDRAW renderer. I did
this to over come some of the shortfalls in the renderer in LdGLite (Mac)
that I converted earlier this year.

In principle I was looking for faster and smoother rendering of LDRAW
models. Mac LDRAW Viewer renders about 10 times faster than LdGLite and can
rotate small models at speeds of up to 78fps on my G4-400 (Yikes) machine.
NB this version is speed restricted to 30fps.

The software is still development software and as such offers no real user
interface and is quite un-Mac like in its operation (that will come)

At present it will display a model which can be manipulated in a GLUT
window. Editing, etc is currently unavailable.

The software only works on MacOS 9.x at the moment. Additionally recomend
anyone that is not at least familiar with LdGLite, not to run the software.
This is beacause, there are no installation instructions, however that said,
installation is identical to LdGLite (Mac).

If all of this still hasn't put you off, the program is located at

http://homepage.mac.com/aallan/LdGLite.html

you need to download: Mac LDRAW Viewer.sit

What I'm looking for is feedback as to where to take the program (keep it
nice please) and some idea as to it's stability on other systems.

Andrew...

I like it,

it actualy runs on my machine (mac os 8.6)

all the comands work with no problems, including 'o' open.
it seems to display most of chassis.dat,engine.dat and steering.dat.
but verry little of the other two.

since only a few parts are pre defined, I asume it requires the LDRAW,PARTS
folders?? but it does not ask for thier location when you start the program.

LdGLite has never worked as good as this on my machine[1].

Please continue development of this one!!

Gary

[1] MacOS 8.6
Processor info:    PowerPC G3
Machine speed:    333 MHz