 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 129
128  |  130
Subject:
Any users of professional Mac CAD programs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 00:35:43 GMT

Does anyone have experience and recommendations for CAD software on MacOS? I
want to get some experience with the real thing... something with a
mechanical drafting forte.

For lack of software, I'm thinking of building my 3rd PC now just for
AutoCAD student edition.

I started at the website ARCHITOSH and it seems to be a good scene for
architects, with very little action in mechanical drafting software. (Bad.)
I want something more mechanically oriented for drafting work and
import/export of solids (DXF/DWG for instance.)

The last engineering title according to Apple was Gibbs and that is long
gone. I've bought VectorWorks but not the Mechanical module; the basic
package is heavily vested in the architect model (pick a Z plane and stick
to it with little switching; design a 2D shape and extrude it; no 3D
primitives.) I suspect they got this mindset from older software like AutoCAD?

Ironically I once used MiniCAD when furnishing my home, but gave up in
frustration and switched to Lego bricks. (1 stud = 1 foot.) That was a lot
more fun and my wife got involved. VectorWorks is the latest version of that
and it's still pretty frustrating.

FormZ for MacOS 9 is another I'm interested in. It's a 3D artist package but
it seems stronger in mechanical drafting than others (like Amapi which I
have not prospered with.) Correct?

A recent reader survey on MacCentral turned up only some engraving software.

I need to be able to import solid models (probably DXF/DWG) and share output
(solid models) with other people using who knows what.

Back in my undergraduate days, ProEngineer was quite *adequate* but you know
it costs a fortune.

-Erik