 CAD / Development / 9691
Re: Question about Java3D
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 16:20:19 GMT

I'm considering learning Java and the Java3D API.  The only official distros for
Java3D I can find are for Windows and Solaris.  My question is does anyone know
how portable the Java3D extension is?  Dos anyone have any experience with
Java3D in a platform other than the 2 listed above?  I'm primarily concerned
with the various flavors of Linux and Moc OS X.

Orion,
There is a Java3D developer installer for Mac OS X, so it isn't available to the
public yet.  My guess is that it will be in Mac OS X 10.4, which hasn't really
been announced yet, other than the announcement that it will be demoed at the
2004 WWDC (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc).  My guess is that the earliest it
will be released is late this year, if that soon.  That has been Apple's pattern
the last few years anyway.

I'm not looking to buy a Java IDE (I've already purchased Delphi and Visual
Studio in the last year) so I went looking for a good, free IDE.  I've found 2
that seem to be in wide use: Eclipse and NetBeans.  Do you have any comments on
these 2 programs?

I don't know either of those 2 programs.  I know about BlueJ:

http://www.bluej.org/

I haven't used it, but it is suppose to be a teaching tool.

Also, wasn't somebody working on a Java LDraw API?

James