 CAD / Development / 9547 (-10)
  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) That's not exactly true. I'm sure you can work out an arrangement with Lars. After all, L3P is not entirely open source, and the benefit of all the LDRAW tools using an identical parts search strategy is probably more useful than having you (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Oh. I didn't know it was as easy as: ~/MacOSX/environment.plist I guess that is one route. In Cocoa, which is what Andrew and I are both developing in now, it is really easy to grab prefs that have a unique name for the application. It isn't (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam....away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:HtwMAE.3BM@lugnet.com... (...) Done, sorry about that - but it was a hard day at work :-( (...) As mentioned earlier in this thread ... we should go with: 1) Users Home (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

Ok I hop on again ... "Lars C. Hassing" <sp.lars@am.hassings.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Htnz7B.G2z@lugnet.com... (...) located (...) directories, (...) (URL) However, I suggest section name [LDrawSearch] which is more in line with [LDraw]. I (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Actually Environment variables work pretty well on OS X because they've set up a standard place to put them, and it's one of those plist files. See here for details. (URL) would be nice though to have a standard fallback location for the (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

One other thing. Environment variables work too, but only serious Unixy Mac OS X people actually modify them--that is, some developers, but no one else. Normal users would even know what they are. Heck, even I don't modify mine. For my l3p and (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) /etc would work, except it would require admin permission to install, which is something the Mac OS X community doesn't like for an installer/app that isn't a system modifying type of installer/app. Saving stuff in /etc/ will also not survive (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Oops, I forgot to add this. These sort of restrictions mean a user may be forced to put extra search directories in their home directory. Rather than recognize $HOME or %USERPROFILE% in an absolute path, it might be nice to add a <HOME> (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) I'm only willing to abandon environment variables if you're willing to go the distance and really try to work out a standard that we all can use. I, like Lars, was quite disappointed when you got impatient and cut short the previous discussion (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Parts Tracker outages in preparation for release of 2004-01

Please expect some availability outages on the Parts Tracker today (and maybe for the next few days), as I work on the next parts update. If all goes well the 2004-01 update will be ready in the next few days. Chris Dee (LDraw Parts Admin) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact