 CAD / Development / 9539
  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) I'm only willing to abandon environment variables if you're willing to go the distance and really try to work out a standard that we all can use. I, like Lars, was quite disappointed when you got impatient and cut short the previous discussion (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Oops, I forgot to add this. These sort of restrictions mean a user may be forced to put extra search directories in their home directory. Rather than recognize $HOME or %USERPROFILE% in an absolute path, it might be nice to add a <HOME> (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) /etc would work, except it would require admin permission to install, which is something the Mac OS X community doesn't like for an installer/app that isn't a system modifying type of installer/app. Saving stuff in /etc/ will also not survive (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

One other thing. Environment variables work too, but only serious Unixy Mac OS X people actually modify them--that is, some developers, but no one else. Normal users would even know what they are. Heck, even I don't modify mine. For my l3p and (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Actually Environment variables work pretty well on OS X because they've set up a standard place to put them, and it's one of those plist files. See here for details. (URL) would be nice though to have a standard fallback location for the (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam....away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:HtwMAE.3BM@lugnet.com... (...) Done, sorry about that - but it was a hard day at work :-( (...) As mentioned earlier in this thread ... we should go with: 1) Users Home (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Oh. I didn't know it was as easy as: ~/MacOSX/environment.plist I guess that is one route. In Cocoa, which is what Andrew and I are both developing in now, it is really easy to grab prefs that have a unique name for the application. It isn't (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

Where to store the preferences? While I've been aware of this thread, I haven't actually been following it, so correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick. (...) MacOS 9 and earlier is a single user environment and it was easy to place (and (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)