 CAD / Development / 9508
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:52:34 GMT

Hi Don,

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Lachmann wrote: • <SNIP> >

[LDraw]
BaseDirectory=C:\LDraw
LgeoDirectory=C:\L2P
LdrawSearch="<HIDE>C:\LDrawXtra\MyPrims\In Work|
      C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\In Work|
      <MODELDIR>|<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\BFC\P|<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\BFC\PARTS|
      <HIDE><P>|<PARTS>|<MODELS>|<MODELS>\TEST|C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\Done"

I like the single LdrawSearch variable because it's easier for me to
pull out of the ldraw.ini file, but I'm willing to go with your format
for the ldraw.ini file if you allow absolute paths.  Maybe something
like this?

Have you ever tried to pull out a variable under MS-Windows with a length of
500 characters? Or what would happen if the definition goes past 10 lines?
Using seperators like '|' I see potential for making errors. But you are
right its a possible solution.
Against that is that the ini file already contains sections, and we try to
mix logic and paths ... this is not a very clean solution.

However ....

[LDRAW_SEARCH]
HIDE "C:\LDrawXtra\MyPrims\In Work"
SHOW "C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\In Work"
SHOW <MODELDIR>
HIDE <LDRAWDIR>\BFC\P
HIDE <LDRAWDIR>\BFC\PARTS
HIDE <P>
SHOW <PARTS>
SHOW <MODELS>
SHOW <MODELS>\TEST
SHOW C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\Done

I would suggest: Default is that the paths are based on the ldraw directory.
E.g.: MODELS\TEST or PARTS

If you want to have another folder different from the ldraw directory I
would use an absolute specification of the path. That means there are no
'<', '>' brackets in the path specification.
An absolute path can start with one of "\\", "/" or "C:".
E.g. C:\TEMP or /usr/home/mike or even \\server\share\directory\parts

The quotation marks are optional because you wouldn't need them, since the
first word is a keyword, every thing following is a path - but stop on some
operating systems they make sence because of blanks in path names - but
still let them optional.

Following my suggestions we would get:
[LDRAW_SEARCH]
HIDE "C:\LDrawXtra\MyPrims\In Work"
SHOW "C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\In Work"
SHOW MODELDIR
HIDE  BFC\P
HIDE BFC\PARTS
HIDE P
SHOW PARTS
SHOW MODELS
SHOW MODELS\TEST
SHOW C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\Done
SHOW \\127.0.0.1\freedrive\public\ldraw\parts
HIDE /tmp/ldraw-temp-parts/

What's the equivalent of the home directory for a Windows user?
Possibly "C:\Documents and Settings\username\ldraw.ini"?  How do you
find that.  I checked the environment on Win2K and it looks like I
can use %USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini but I'm not sure about other versions
of Windows.

If you use an internet explorer function to get this directory it depends on
the version of internet explorer installed on the system.
The environment variables have been introduced with Windows NT and been
taken over to 98 and ME. I'm not sure about 95.
The variables are different in some versions, at least that is what I can
remember. But I'll check that.

Don

Michael