 CAD / Development / 938
Re: New guidelines on parts and numbers (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:36:36 GMT

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:26:27 GMT, Papp Imre <ipapp@GEOMETRIA.hu> wrote:

The concept is very clear and it would be good that the rules could be
summarized in the FAQ based on Steve's and Terry's explanation.

Is it time to start thinking of a separate FAQ for part authors?

My only question is how will the concept handle those situations when a
single part has two different colors and both can have values more then
one. As far as I can remember the "2440.DAT  Hinge  6 x  3
Radar/Blade/Spoiler/Panel" part arose such a discussion. (The body of
the part and the pattern may have different colors). In that particular
case the problem was solved by creating different patterned parts. This
is OK, but what if in the future part creators will really need to use
more than one changeable color on a single unseparatable part. I know
that this will very unlikely to happen, but this is caused by the basic
design of the DAT files, ie. it has a single 'property' (#16) to refer
to the free color of the part.

Is this a real problem or the concept makes possible to resolve these
situations too?

I would say this could be handled by putting the different-colored lines in
different files (probably in parts\s).  Then the actual part files can
reference the sub-files with the proper colors.

This would also allow (advanced) modellers to change the colors, by using
the subfiles directly in their models.

Steve